Paris Solo Trip: Day One

I was given a gift from my university: a week off of school, called "reading week." I decided to take advantage of this time and take myself to Paris (and I did bring a book to read!). I booked a hotel for two nights, wrote a list of things to see, and set of by coach. I really enjoy traveling alone and this trip was very special.

Jardin du Luxembourg

The coach ride to Paris from Bristol was a bit too long . . . I don't think I would ever like to travel 10+ hours by bus again in my life. It was cheap, but the trip was not comfortable. I arrived in Paris early in the morning. I went into the center of the city by metro. I really liked the metro system there - it was very clean, inexpensive, efficient, and not very crowded. Though, I did get lost in the metro station when I first got there and it was kind of horrible (the exits are right when you get off the train . . . I didn't see them at first ahhh!!!) I went straight to my hotel and even though I couldn't check in until 2:00pm, I went into the bathroom to freshen up and left my luggage there so I could spend time exploring the city.




My first glance of the city felt really special. Paris is a city like any city but it is very open - it has the sweet European character, but felt big. The buildings were beautiful, the art spread about, and the trees. I went first walking around and then found my way to Old Paris and Notre Dame. Notre Dame was very heavy with tourists but there were masses when I went so I went instead to sit with the locals at a Lauds service and one other before that. I really enjoyed these short masses (office hours technically), and sight reading French hymns. The only weird thing was people photographing the priest and congregants as the mass took place!


Trying to sing!
How beautiful is this walk?
Breakfast ❁ Around 9:00 in the morning, I went to Le Village Ronsard Café where I had a lovely cup of tea and a bruschetta (I asked for no fromage) though the food was good, it was priced a bit too expensive. The host was very chatty with my which was pleasant. It immediately broke all of the negative stereotypes about Parisians (honestly, with anyone, if you give kindness, you will receive kindness).




After lunch, I went walking some more, went into a few shops and bought a nice scarf (the one I was wearing was not warm enough!!), and ran into the Luxembourg Gardens. Here is when I truly got emotional. I walked into the gardens and thought, this is really beautiful, and then it hit my heart: this is where a significant scene of Les Misérables took place. Les Misérables is one of my favorite books and if you have read it, you will know what I am talking about. There I was walking through the setting of my most favorite book.





I went shopping some more (bought a bath bomb), looked around at the street vendors, and made my way back to my hotel. I was very, very tired after that long bus ride and walk around the city, so I spent many hours relaxing in my hotel room.


Lunch ❁ I was too lazy to go out so I ate snacks that I brought on my trip!

After a nice nap and Lush bath . . . 


Two great baths out of this sparkly pumpkin!
Finally able to relax in the hotel room

Dinner ❁ I decided to go out and find some good food for dinner. It took me a while to find a place to eat (I was interested in a vegan restaurant but it was closed for All Saints' Day). I ended up taking out a Pad Thai (asked for no egg), and I also grabbed some potato chips and Oreos. I took my food, sat in bed, and watched French Netflix. It was a great first day. 


What I wore: (Easy outfit for bus)
Sweater: M&S
Leggings: H&M




No comments:

Powered by Blogger.