My Fitness Journey: Part 1

I've never really liked working out...can anyone relate? I've tried the gym...different sports...I do like dance, but even going to rehearsal week after week was sometimes monotonous for me (not to say I don't like dance, I really do!) Because of this I've never been extremely fit. Dance got me in good shape, but it has been many years since then. From high school through my first four years of University, my weight fluctuated it a bit. This didn't bother me too much, but when I had a difficult period and lost weight, I realised how nice it felt. Despite appearances, I've never been fit, and I can really feel the strain of this.



The more I read about nutrition, I want to be as healthy as possible. I don't want to be a person who can't handle certain physical tasks or feel tired easily. I want lots of energy, I want to be active, and yes, I want to look good! I joined the gym a few months ago but I've only recently been getting into it. This started off from a sort of...dare.

I wanted to prove to someone that fruit sugar (and carbs) do NOT make you fat! So I had a crazy week...for five days, I ate ONLY bananas and mangos!! (And also some carrots because I had them in my fridge and I didn't want them to go bad). The week was so boring but it turns out that I slimmed out a lot! (By the way, I was aiming to eat 2,000 calories a day). But I didn't just turn to this diet for the sake of showing proof, I actually knew I needed to make this change.

I've been tempted by a lot of good vegan foods in the city I live in. I know it may seem that when you become vegan, you are automatically eating super healthy, but that is not true. You can be vegan and eat lots of oily, processed foods. Yes, its better than eating meat and dairy, but it still can be damaging. I've been wanting to turn to a more raw, whole food way of eating, and I really needed that push.

Temptation! How could I resist this? 

Now, here I am. My diet this week has been mostly raw and I've been working to go to the gym at least 30 minutes a day. I want to transform my regular eating to optimum health* and I want to be physically fit. I know its going to be a journey with challenges, but it is a journey I am very happy to make. 

Right now I am feeling good and I am proud of the progress I am making at the gym. Sometimes I have temptation for oily, junk foods, but I need to decide on some sort of balance in this way of eating. Maybe once every two weeks? I'm also really enjoying all the money I am saving on eating more fruits and vegetables only!! At the gym I've mainly been doing cardio because I don't know many good strength training workouts. The stair stepper has been my go to! And I am working up the ability to jog (so far I can only run for about 2 minutes on the treadmill. I know lame! But I will get there!)

I will post more updates on this blog. Also, if anyone needs some help in losing weight, please contact me. I am very much against calorie limitation and very much for eating delicious but nutritious foods. Happy and healthy can go together!

A healthy Snack


*not that eating raw is optimum health - I believe in the health of cooked foods and grains

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.