Low Budget Travel Tips

I think that the average person thinks that a nice vacation is way out of their price range. This is definitely not true (unless your idea of vacation is sitting on a yacht all day with drink in hand . . .). Traveling on a budget is definitely do-able. I haven't traveled much but I took myself on an almost solo trip in Europe for ten days, not spending very much money. From that trip I learned a few things!



1. Bring a Carry-on Only!

Really try to pack minimal on your trip. I promise that you will need less clothes than you think! When I went to Europe in November, it was quite cold, and I ended up wearing a lot of the same clothes. I looked into my suitcase with distress, realizing that I definitely packed too much . . . Also, if you leave room, you can shop more in the country!

The benefits of bringing only a carry-on is that it is way easier to get around, and you don't have to pay for checked baggage on your flights. I took a total of seven flights on this trip (going to different countries). Paying for my suitcase would have been very difficult!

This is the luggage I bought.
It is actually quite roomy but fit in the overhead bin.
It is also roller which was helpful to get around.
Though, make sure you check the rules of luggage for your airline!

2. Stay with Friends

If you can, the greatest help in keeping a lower budget is to stay with friends. I was able to stay with my close friend for the majority of my Europe trip, and it helped my budget so much. If you don't have friends in other countries, maybe meet people online? (But be careful with this!!). Also, if you stay at a house with a friend, you can use their laundry and cut down on what you need to pack. If you do not have any friends, there are cheap places available. I stayed in this lovely hotel in Stockholm, very close to the airport. It was only $60 for the night! Hostels can be an option as well. I have never stayed in a hostel but many people say they are a very good option.

My best friend and I in Norway.

3. Look for Cheap Flights

You might consider flying somewhere cheap and then flying to your desired destination. For example, the flights to Scandinavia and England are frequently cheaper. If you fly there first, stay there for a few days, and take a cheap European flight to another country. There a many websites that find airline deals. Skyscanner.com is my favorite. You can find the place you want to go to and click month view to find the cheapest day to fly.

Here is an example of an October flight from Los Angeles to London.

Also, if you book your flight through an external website such as Priceline, you can pay for the bare minimum. They assigned me a random seat but when I went to the airport, I was able to change it right before my flight.

4. GO TO THE GROCERY STORE!!

The best way to save money is to not eat out! Honestly, it was so much more fun for me to go visit the foreign grocery stores instead of eating out for every meal! When I was in Norway I didn't even go to a proper restaurant. I highly recommend this practice. It was so fun to see the foreign brands of food. One of my favorite things to buy was candy!


These were my favorites!!
I thought this would be a cute thing to bring back with me.


What a name!


Tea and crumpets I bought from Waitrose in England.

5. Go Somewhere with Public Transportation Options.

It is much cheaper to get around when you can use a travel pass instead of paying for taxis and rental-cars. Big cities are great for this. I used my oyster card to get around England!




6. Consider . . . Not really shopping.

I spent a lot of money on shopping . . . I did so mindlessly, treating myself. Really, shopping is not necessary. You can have an awesome time traveling without buying much. You can seriously save a lot of money. Maybe commit to bringing only one or two souvenirs home.

I had a bit of a weakness for Primark. After I got a G&T with my friend!

7. Get a Good Money Changing App

It's god to know how much you are spending! I was frequently checking on this app I got, and it was very helpful!



8. Go Places Where what You Want to do is Free!

Go to a place with a beach! Go somewhere where there are things to do that are free - but make sure it is something that you will love! In London and Norway, it was simply wonderful to just walk around!

Beautiful London
Cozy Norway
Isn't this a charming city? (Bergen)
I fell in love with London

I hope this is helpful
In the future I will give tips on traveling and packing light!


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.