How to Study Well

When I started my second year of University, I was faced with what I was told was the hardest class: Music History. The class was graded on daily quizzes, papers, a term paper, and four large exams. When starting the class, I realized that I loved it and all that was required to do well was to establish a  good routine for studying. It took me a while to find the right method but once I did, I was graded on average 14/15 on the daily quizzes, and got over %100 average on the big tests (for all three classes that were required).

Since school is starting again, I decided to share my method of studying. This may not be able to apply to all types of test taking - these tests in particular were primarily written - but you may be able to alter this method and apply it to the classes you are currently taking.



Step 1: Take Notes in Class

This step starts in class. Use your computer to take as much notes as you can during the lecture. Also, keep your ears open and retain the aural information. I recommend typing so you can get down as much notes as you can. If you can't bring a computer to class, take as many handwritten notes as possible and ask your professor if you can have access to the lecture to fill in any holes.


Step 2: Copy Down Notes

A few hours after the lecture (I would do this at night), write out all of the notes so that you get the kinesthetic aspect to this. This step is really helpful if you are taking a written test so that you already have the experience of writing out the material. If you already have the notes written out, rewrite them and organize them.
*Note: It is helpful to organize information in the best way for you. Example: I would have a paragraph for each composer.



Step 3: Read Through and Highlight

The next day (or day of the test), find a time where you can sit down and read through the notes. Highlight important words or phrases. I wouldn't restrain myself from highlighting - every important word was highlighting. This helped my visual memory.



Step 4: Dictate Notes by Memory

If you have extra time, dictate parts of the test out loud. This is a good time to study with friends and test each other. If I was alone, I would pick a main section (such as a composer) and say out loud everything I remembered about the composer, and then check my notes to see if I covered everything.



Step 5: Take the Test

When you take the test, focus on what you know the best and write like crazy. In the music history tests, she would give us a group of composers and subjects to pick from and write about. I would pick all of the words that I knew the most about and wrote as much as I could. Also, take your time and look through the whole test because other parts of the test may give you answers to other parts or spark memories. Sometimes when my mind went blank on an important section, I would go work on another section and the memories would spark of the other section!



I hope this is helpful, happy studying! Try to enjoy the information you are receiving from your professors. Each and every one of us in school are very lucky to be there and very lucky to be able to increase knowledge and intelligence. Work hard to find the value in everything.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.